Sunday, September 10, 2017

Week 59: A varying number of musical numbers and arrangements

Elder Saguinsin, Elder Newton and Elder McKinnon

Discover Evee
Turn and Tumble
Captured attention on Released creature
Stop the Problem
How?
Trip in the 시장*
The proof is egg
Evee
* Market

So this week was one of the craziest times of my life, and the only connecting thread is our grand ol' subject line, so let's get right on it. 

We start last Sunday, back where we were last week, after the Primary class we talked about last week. The beginning of the end of Elder Newton is to be found here, as he discusses with Brother Kim ways to perform on the clarinet this transfer. For the last two transfers we've been scared that I'll disappear, and as time goes on, everyone else becomes more convinced I'm leaving. I still think I'm here until I die though, but yaknow. 

So anywho, as we talk, we realize there are a few district (church, not missionary) activities coming up, where music would be nice. So Brother Kim called the district president that night, and instead of giving us one musical number, he gave us two. However, because even after a year it's rather easy to misunderstand Korean, at the end of Sunday night I was under the impression I would be playing only at a barbecue the next Saturday

Because Monday is P-Day, nothing much developed. We just met our Mongolian members as usual and got us some Evees, and spent until like 10 o'clock discussing and asking zone leaders how much permission I'd need to go to this fireside/barbecue. (Oh yeah, and on P-Day we went to a super cool market right by the church and it was sweet, but anyway)

Tuesday was crazy, because we had like 3 appointments and English class, but a couple punked, so it was OK in the end. But Tuesday night was the night I learned that I actually had two musical numbers to prepare for, and one would be played at district conference. Also for that one we needed to arrange some way to have a good portion of the zone participate. So that was cool, and takes us into Wednesday

Wednesday also was a day of running around to a couple farther corners of our area, and having appointments fall through, until the last and farthest-away appointment in which we got a new investigator. That was sweet. His dream was to own 20 car shops and know two languages, and at the moment he owns 19 and is already kinda solid at English. So yeah, we're just helping this man achieve his dreams and come closer to Jesus. 

Oh yeah, also since an appointment fell through, I had time to prepare some music, and then I got a call where the fireside musical number was canceled, which saved a lot of stress, but suddenly I was meant to take the lead on setting up the multi-missionary musical number. So yeah, I spent that night calling missionaries determining their musical ability. 

Thursday was spent running to the Christmas Café, and then running back to Wonju because our appointment changed both time and place. That was fun, but it all worked out. We had some time to make calls and practice clarinet. It was a less stressful time.

Then Friday was just lost to zone conference, but it was a good meeting featuring long bus rides. I did a roleplay with President where I interviewed him for baptism. Good times. He passed. 

Saturday involved English class, a sudden interaction with the entire Relief Society of the Korean equivalent of a state, and making a daily scripture calendar for the members. Luckily clarinet practice fell through, because we barely had enough time to eat. That was the theme of this week really. I think I brushed my teeth at 10:27 or later every night this week. So many things. 

Then Sunday I spent stressing because it was the deadline for setting the music, and I needed to translate a fifth-grader's English class homework. But it led to a good lesson that night. Oh yeah also we had to run out to the bus terminal and meet a Vietnamese guy who is pretty dang good at Korean and we thought would have no interest, but instead took a Book of Mormon, said he'd been to our church three or four times before, and the next time we see him will probably become an official new investigator. Then I spent every other waking moment planning either in my mind or out loud how to do our musical number. But I think it worked out.

Oh yeah, I never said what we're doing. 

It's "The Spirit of God" featuring clarinet and piano and a missionary choir of about three missionaries per voice. It'll be nice. Hopefully I get a video

And yeah, that was only one facet of the week. There are so many things. We should just sit by a fire in a couple of years when I get home. 

Best wishes,
Elder Newton

No comments:

Post a Comment