Sunday, September 17, 2017

Week 60: A Shop, a Cafe, a Convenience Store and a McDonald's

From left: Azza (who came to church and served in my home mission), her husband (who was AP over all of Mongolia), me (nerd), Elder Saguinsin (a Filipino), Buya (the one we've been meeting with. I translated for him at church twice before. His brother-in-law who couldn't make it is a throat singer in the Mongolian National Throat Singing Choir), Tamira (who is probably the funniest person you'll ever meet), and Buye and Tamira's niece (I forget her name, but she's a contortionist and fly at Korean)
Discover Mongolia
Shiver and Shake
Hard Work but Light Hearted
Stop the Problem
How?
Pack the Cow
The Proof is revision
Mongolia

Hiya all. This week's Discover Poem is a shoutout to some of the coolest people I've met out on my mission and also Gaby Galván who just got called to the Mongolia mission. It has a specific city, which I forgot, but the whole country is her mission, so it's chill.

Anywho, this week was also very missionary-y. So many things to do in so many places, and besides English class, I don't think we met anyone at the church, which gave us an interesting variety of settings for some of the most spiritual discussions of my life.

The first one was really close to the church with a very nice potential investigator. I may have mentioned (probably not, I never tell you anything in these tbh) but we found a Philippine shop by the church doing service a few weeks back, and let me tell you, every time we go I feel like a greenie again. I'm sitting down with someone holding a book that I'm told is the Book of Mormon, it's blue and has our classic font and everything, but I couldn't definitively tell you that that's what it is. Meanwhile my companion is testifying in a language I don't understand, and I'm just relying on pure guesswork to know if the conversation is about the true meaning of repentance or last night's football game.
But yeah, we had a lesson there with a guy named Alvin. He's a nice man, and Elder Saguinsin taught him very well. I didn't understand anything, but from the translation, and the spirit I felt, I knew that it was a good lesson. He can't meet for a bit because of work, so he's not an investigator yet, but he totally will be. Let's pray Elder Saguinsin isn't transferred this time around. 
We were on a little loft. It was sweet
Then a couple days later, just a little further from the church we were sitting in a (pictured) library cafe in the Maze Market with our recent convert. Every time we talk to him, I get a small sense of how much he loves this gospel, and how much he gives up. We ended up discussing everything from his concerns about temple marriage, to some very legitimate questions about repentance. It was a very long talk actually, but feeling his spirit in that time is something I never want to forget. 

From left: Elder McKinnon, Elder Hipps, Elder Newton, Elder Bond and Jasmine. She's 5 and better at English than the man in Advanced Class who has studied English for 30 years. She's great. Elder Hipps taught her like Primary. She now knows she's a daughter of God.
Finally on Saturday, I had an exchange with Elder Hipps, our zone leader. Because we had a free morning, we decided to visit our member who just had eye surgery. (Also a couple Sundays ago I blessed consecrated oil in Korean for him. I just remembered.) Anywho, he's doing great, and he had a referral (is that the right word in English?) for us. The guy was a little drunk, like the fumes were giving me a headache, but he was so nice, and he listened really well to the message we had prepared. He also bought us ice cream and saw us to the door of the convenience store. And the greatest miracle is he liked us so much he stopped drinking for that afternoon and Sunday morning so he could go to church sober. He was the first investigator to sacrament meeting I've seen in a while out here. 

And finally we go back to where we began with the Less Active Mongolians. (Well, one isn't less active, she made it to church and I translated for her. It was fun. Also it's so hard to translate church classes. No one has their comments thought through and it's a grammatical and logical mess.) We met them in McDonald's, as we have for the last transfer and a half (sorry Mom), and we ended up on the second floor alone, which was sweet. I'd love to go deep, but time is failing me, so I'll try to be brief.
Basically we talked about the gospel of Jesus Christ, and ended up with a big testimony meeting of how the church has blessed us, our families, and all of us to meet in Korea. They all had such deep thoughts, and the one who couldn't speak English well bore his testimony in Mongolian with his wife translating, until Tamira had to take over because the wife was crying. It was sweet. Also the 17-year-old girl (who is fly at Korean) had the purest testimony of eternal families. And yeah, I love Mongolia now. It was weird saying goodbye to Tamira and Buya. They're so good, and they'll be great members of their home ward in Mongolia. I think Buya is second counselor in the bishopric actually. … And yeah, that's the memes. There are some pics, but until you see those,

Best Wishes,
Elder Newton

No comments:

Post a Comment