Sunday, August 27, 2017

Week 57: My dreams have been crushed

Discover Mountain
Scale and Soar
small peak, but wide open spaces
Stop the Problem
How?
Lose the Jacket
The proof is royalty
Mountain

This week was a fun transfer-ending one. We had a week that took us all over the area on the off chance Elder Saguinsin would be sent off forever into the darkness of Seoul. But it's OK because he wasn't sent off. Elder Saguinsin gets to stay. That's Transfer Part One

As we rode buses for a long time this week, I had some really great conversations. I especially enjoyed two of them

The first was with a man who works on one of the local Army bases. He was so nice. Elder Saguinsin complimented his jacket, and after that he led the whole conversation and asked for our number. I love him

The next was on the way back from our beloved Christmas Café. We had actually missed the bus we wanted to take, but we ended up on the bus the Lord wanted us to take. (wow I'm so typical missionary) And so I sit down, and since I'm me in order to avoid awkward proselytizing, I just jumped right into conversation with this kid by telling him I was a vegetarian. Well, I said a few things before that, but we didn't know each other's names and he already knew my dietary habits. (He also had heard the First Vision before we were fully acquainted, but you know how it is with spaghetti*) So yeah, he was just a nice kid fresh out of Army with a few questions for the foreign vegan missionary. I taught him the whole Restoration, and he was so touched that I'd give him the Book of Mormon when it was so valuable to me. So yeah, Elder Newton is out of story time so we're moving along

I also don't have time to masterfully share a story about each of the other elders and say how their transfer happened, so we'll wrap up. Sorry I can't be as dramatic as I want to be. Wait a few years. 

So yeah, Elder Bond stays, Elder Lee goes to be zone leader†, and there are still no sisters. 

Thus becomes Wonju

Oh yeah, and as for my subject line, my dreams were crushed, because I am now district leader. It's a sad day. Mourn for me. 

And now pictures!
We found yet another quaint library!

And also the sky is always pretty over the Wonju I will stay in forever
Really though, like I'll be here until at least General Conference. I was here for the last one too

Anywhooooooooooo

Best Wishes,
Elder Newton
* Spaghetti stories are an internet meme in which a socially awkward person in an awkward situation is further embarrassed by spaghetti falling out of his pockets, a symbol of his social ineptitude. (I know, kids these days.) 
† He will be in a tripanionship with Elder Pulsipher, Elder Newton's companion from the MTC! Meanwhile, Elder Bond's new companion is Elder McKinnon.

No comments:

Post a Comment