Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Week 7: I'm actually going to Korea (eventually)

Callback photo ft. my New Korean Nametag

Discover Korean Nametags
Christmas and excited screaming
Small badge, but deep significance
Stop the Problem 
How?
Send me to Korea already
The proof is Remembrance
Nametags

(We may have gotten our Korean nametags this week and I'm still very excited)

Hello everyone!

So yeah, this week was great. We may or may not have had two apostles come and speak since I last wrote one of these. No big deal. We just have had three apostles speak in a row. It's unheard of. Elder Ballard came Sunday, and last night Elder Cook came down to speak to us. Neither of them had written out talks, but they were still some of the best spiritual things I've heard in my life. They both focused a lot on love and service.

Skype TRC was amazing on Friday. I loved it so much. We talked to a Sister 박. She was great. And also in Korea. That was insane. The second she picked up the call I couldn't stop smiling. It was amazing to see one of the people in the place the Lord has called me to go to. I loved it so much, and apparently she liked it too. Brother Chandler called her after we finished, and she gave him an evaluation. It was beaming. I love it so much and am ready for Korea. (Except also I'm going to die once I'm there, but it's OK.*)
 
Classes continue to be great. Sister Kim is great at teaching Korean, and Brother Chandler is a spiritual giant. I love them both so much, and I kind of want to keep them with me forever. I also need to get pics with them. I'll have that for next week. 

Other than that, though, I've mostly been studying or practicing music.† It's been a good week, and the Lord always knows when I need to have some music in my life. It's always spiritual, of course, and it always lifts my spirits.

And as usual I'm out of time, so thanks for reading. There will be more updates later. I get my flight plans Friday,‡ so that's exciting.

Much love and spirituality,
Elder Newton
 
 
* When asked for clarification on the "going to die" comment (yes, Mom emailed him back during his email window, don't judge), Elder Newton said: "I just know that I know nothing still. Like I can teach a lesson in Korean, but I don't know how to ask for vegetarian food. (I can say I don't eat meat though, which is nice.) But yeah, it's just like a metaphorical die."
 
† Elder Newton received permission to have his clarinet with him in the MTC so he can perform for his fellow missionaries. He wrote in an earlier email to his mom: "I have so far played for my district a tiny bit and my companion. I get to practice 50 minutes a day, so I may skip half of lunch and dinner to do that. Today I'm working with my pianist bc I think I can finally do that arpeggiation or however you spell it. And yeah it's real good, and honestly I am able to focus on the music really well here. I love it."
 
‡ We anticipate Elder Newton will fly out Sept. 26 or 27. 

No comments:

Post a Comment