Sunday, October 22, 2017

Week 65: Miracle Pizza and Beetlejuice

A dramatically presented Miracle Pizza
Discover Beet
Pluck and Prune
Sturdy Bulb but Flimsy leaves
Stop the problem
How?
Touch the Sky
The proof is sight
Beet

Well it's been a good time in Gangneung thus far. Things continue and there are stories to tell. If there's one thing missionary work and more dedicated journal writing have taught me, it's that there's always a story to tell.

First, on to the miracle pizza from last time. So. Out here, and really everywhere probably, we have a few members who are ridiculously 부자. (Boo-Jah) It means rich person, but it works so much better in Korean. The point is, right when I got here, one of them invited the missionaries for a meal at his home. And his home is sick. It's like an hour away from the church in an area called "Happy 700" which means that his home is over 700 meters above sea level. (750 I think it was.) He served us like a four- or five-course meal of some rather expensive things. Or homemade things made from expensive material. Like he makes his own bread from rice flour and it was so delicious. 

But that's beside the point. I could go on and on about President Oh's home and food. I did in fact, and it's now like three pages of my journal. The important part is the miracle pizza. 

See, when we got to the home, the Ohs, well I can't call them that because his wife's name is Han. Oh well, the couple were making homemade pizza. We started to help them and it was super fun, but when we put in the first pizza President Oh remembered he'd forgotten one of the toppings: the beef! He seemed to be worried the missionaries would be disappointed, but to me it was a perfect time to let everyone know I was vegan. By the way, as a vegan I can affirm I spend 90% of my time when I first meet someone trying to figure out a good time to tell them I'm vegan. Everyone was really surprised except for Elder Pulsipher. Then President Oh talked about how God always gives little miracles to missionaries. Like helping everyone forget to put beef on a pizza so a vegetarian could eat it. It was inspiring. 

And yeah. On to Beetlejuice. 

So this week we also went to another faraway part of our area. We got there later than we thought, so we had to grab a quick dinner at a Pizza School. (It's like Korean Little Caesar's.) It was surprisingly delicious, and afterward Elder Pulsipher went to the bathroom out back. The bathroom happened to be across from a shop selling health drinks, and while Elder Pulsipher was occupied, I talked to the owner. He was pretty nice, and while he didn't care much for the gospel, he did offer us one of his drinks. Now usually this is not a good sign at a shop like this, because in Korea the more healthy a drink is, the taste is exponentially worse. So I asked for anything that might taste good, and he gave us some Beet Apple Juice. It ended up being really delicious,and reminded me of Beet Salad. I now call it Beetlejuice. Oh dangit I've said his name three times now. Whoops. I guess I'd better run!

Best Wishes,
Elder Newton

No comments:

Post a Comment