Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Bonus post: Meet Elder Brown

Elder Brown is on the left.
Another letter from Elder Newton arrived on Monday. He thought his loyal readers might want to know more about his trainer, Elder Brown.

So my life with Elder Brown starts Day 1 in country. I hadn't met him yet, and had put very little thought into my new companion. All I'd done to this point was get off the plane, 전도 (jundo) (proselyte) on the subway, and ride a taxi to President's house (President Sonksen, but his house is actually close to the Blue House). I was filling out a get-to-know-you paper as I was getting to know the APs,* and offhand Elder 남 (Nam) said, "You know, I think you and Elder Brown would be good together."

The conversation went on; I think Elder Littlefield said something like, "It's just because they're both blond, isn't it?" But I'm not sure. In any case, that night in my nightly prayer I asked for Elder Brown to be my trainer. It was kind of a joke with God, but I guess my prayer was answered anyway, because the next day of training I was sorted into 녹번 house w/ Elder Brown as my companion.

Elder Brown is a very nice guy. He serves everyone. Me, the district, the ward, people on the street, etc. He's very helpful. He's been out a year and a half, been in 녹번 4 1/2 months now, and has been district leader enough on his mission that he's led more district meetings than he's just attended.

And yeah. Um, he's from Missouri. His family has nine people (mom, dad, two older sisters, one older brother, (him), and three younger sisters. He did soccer and tennis, played the tuba too, loves math and science, and wants to be an aerospace engineer. He's also pretty funny, but in a "he makes good jokes" kind of way, not like a me kind of way. (If you're curious, that way is "not funny, but says things in a way people laugh out of pity.") Elder Brown is also a decent cooking man, and is very patient with Elder Newton. He compliments my Korean less than other people, but I like that, because I definitely have things to learn and no reason to be cocky. Plus when he does compliment me, it's pretty nice, and he has advice on how to improve.

* Assistants to the [Mission] President

No comments:

Post a Comment