Sunday, June 3, 2018

Week 98: Pizza and Shoe Shining

Because of last month's camera catastrophe, Elder Newton didn't have any photos this week, so Mom stole this one from Sister Sonksen's Instagram. Here are Elders O'Brien, Boden and Newton eating pizza.
Discover Lettuce
Plant and Pick
First sprout but second year
Stop the problem
How?
Pull out the Quad at lunch
The proof is awkward
Lettuce

A peek into Elder Newton's Journal:

June 1, 2018

Well, it's June now. Nothing much happened today. But I did post on Facebook for the first time today. Some Americans made fun of me. Overall, I rate it a 6/10 experience. 

I forgot to bring my journal, but that was the gist of that day. (It's OK though, I'm not hurt at all. It's chill. I know adding "it's chill" makes it seem less chill, but you know how it is with spaghetti)

So we've had a good week. We've still been calling our main English class member and reading the Book of Mormon with her. She's been attending for a long time, and has met with missionaries a lot before, but as we teach her simply about the Restoration and read the Book of Mormon she's been responding really well. 

I also learned a lot about service on Wednesday. I was a little caught up in myself, but we did our service project where we play an English Board game with a mostly paralyzed man. Just that chance to sit with and think about him for an hour really helped me oddly enough. He reminded me to appreciate nature. There were some good clouds that day. 

Thursday was our weekly 강릉 day. We saw President Sonksen and had our last interviews with him. It was a little sad, but OK overall. No tears or anything. I did shine my shoes by the church. There's a place President always goes, and it's so good. I think my shoes are shinier than when I bought them. We also ordered pizza. 

Oh yeah, there were sad things. My son, Elder Alban, had a hard time happen to him. I don't know if I can really say it here in case it's private for him, but if anyone feels like writing him a fun letter, then that might be fun for him. I think it would help. 

But yeah, that's Thursday really. So we move on. 

This weekend we had some miracles. We visited our Grandpa and he told us about the time he swam across the Han River. We also were leaving the church Saturday night and met an older man (in his late 50s?) who knew missionaries and told us the story of how he reconnected with an old penpal. It was really nice, but it ended up being better after he showed up to church on Sunday. He couldn't stay long, but it was really cool to see that we were able to help him in some little way before he went back to Seoul. 

Church went well. I got to bear my testimony on things I've learned from Mary Newton. The youth are excited to see the President Nelson devotional in a couple of weeks. I forgot one of the phones at the church (as usual) and we watered the garden. 

That night we had some really good experiences while tracting. There was one old woman whom the Sister Missionaries used to serve a lot who was really happy to see us even though we couldn't go into her home. Then we met a man who let us in. His door was unlocked actually, and when we opened it there was a really strong scent of alcohol. (Never knew that scent before my mission.) He was really thin, surrounded by empty bowls of ramen, empty bottles of Soju, and a cup full of cigarette butts. I'm surprised he was able to be as aware as he was. We couldn't stay long, and there wasn't a lot we could do, but we talked to him for a minute. It was a rather poignant moment. I was squatting next to him as he smoked and talked about how he wanted to die. He had had a Book of Mormon once, but he gave it to a friend because he felt like his heart wasn't open to it yet. He said he needed hope, and we were able to promise him Hope in the Plan of Salvation. 

I don't know if he'll remember that conversation. He very well might not remember anything from last night. He said he was going to a hospital in Seoul with a friend, so I don't think we'll have a chance to see him again. Or at least for a long time. But I left that house and I remembered what President Sonksen told me once, "Not give up on finding in Taebaek," and "Even when you don't find anyone to teach, it will change you."

So. That was that. To end on a lighter note, on the way home that night we met a really nice family who want us to help them with English and didn't seem to uncomfortable that a gospel message went with it. So that was a happy moment. 

Best Wishes, 

Elder Newton

No comments:

Post a Comment