Monday, December 11, 2017

Week 72: 'Last Jedi' Comes Out in Five Days and I'm Stuck in Korea?

Aesthetics

Discover Applesauce
Bob and Bake
Simple concept but specific recipe
Stop the Problem
How?
Short the Circuit
The proof is flabbergast
Applesauce

So this week has been fun. The world is being lighted one pie at a time. We baked some for our neighbors which was really fun. Then we wrapped a bunch of copies of The Book of Mormon to give to people yesterday. It was fun. I think I have a few pics

 
Our Book of Mormon activity
Elder Alban has been doing great. He's learning Korean so fast, and finding his voice as we teach and practice teaching. 

But yeah, Thursday was crazy. So we begin by meeting our investigator at the college. He's a 72-year-old studying philosophy, and we were just expecting him, but lo and behold he's brought a friend who's a very young woman. She had a picture of the Salt Lake Temple on her phone and everything. It was a rather surprising referral, and they were certainly a fun pair to teach. He kept on talking about really random stuff, and she was always trying to pull him back on track for the lesson. But yeah, little miracles. 

Our sandwiches, cut diagonally because of the Pythagorean theorem

After that lesson we taught our English class by making sandwiches. It was a good way to combine lunch into it, and at the end we got Astronaut Ice Cream from Maryland, which is my new aesthetic. 

And also because that day was kids day, we met up with the other Elders and gave balloon animals to the children who were getting out of school. They had a lot of fun with it. 

And I got Cheese 호떡 which was ₩2000 but so worth it
 
We had a pretty expensive lunch on Saturday, but it was totally worth it. We met a guy the other week and he knew missionaries from before, so he invited us to the grand opening of his restaurant.
 
 
Our Banana Bay restaurant from the outside
It's right near one of the famous beaches and it was really Christmas-y. I forgot to take pictures inside, but it's chill. The point is, he was really nice, gave us some free appetizers, and liked the note we gave him inviting him to church on Christmas. 

Sunday was also pretty great on account of our aforementioned Christmas activity and also there was a training meeting for the district at the church. This was already great because we were going to get a really good meal afterward, but the best part was that since it was a district activity Old Branch President Kim and Current President Jung came out. They even brought their kids, who, let me tell you, are just crazy.
 
 
Members on the ground
Also, I have realized I know a decent portion of the members out here. I think I've mentioned this before, but I'm basically a member of the Gangneung District. It's a great place to be, and I think I'd be perfectly OK dying out here and only going to Seoul for our temple trip next week.
 
Oh yeah! By the way, I've pretty consistently been calling Brother Kim since I came out here, and as I told him about our Christmas plans I mentioned we were in search of a clarinet. Well, since he was coming out here anyway, he offered his clarinet to lend again, and since we were having a hard time finding instrument stores, we took the offer. So now we have Brother Kim's clarinet in Gangneung. He seems happy because now no one will make him play for the Wonju Christmas things. He's so funny. And yeah, all the members saw him give it to me, so they made me take it out right away and play carols. They also said I have a lot of pressure for the Christmas party. So yeah. 

I'm back as a music missionary and it's Christmas. I guess we'll update you on our antics next week

Best Wishes,
Elder Newton

No comments:

Post a Comment