Sunday, February 4, 2018

Week 80: Calls and Callings

The members in Taebaek (except one who couldn't make it to church). The branch president is on the far left.
 
Discover Building
Erect and Elevate
Strong walls but weak foundation
Stop the Problem
How?
Drop the ball
The proof is condensation
Building

So this week was fun. It started normal with Helping Hands Centers and meeting returned missionaries from the embassy in charge of the vice president getting to Korea all safe and sound. Then we had some normal proselytizing and whatnot, and it was all going great until Wednesday

The morning was already interesting because we had to help load a bunch of books by President Hinckley and Mitt Romney into the Helping Hands Center. It was a hoot and a holler, but then we had to go home to study. In the middle of said studies, President Sonksen just decides to call and be like, "So Elder Newton, would it be OK if we sent you out to Taebaek real fast? Like by Friday? Because the first counselor/ clerk is moving to Gangneung to be zone leader, so we need you to go and we expect that you'll be taking his place as first counselor and clerk."*

Well I couldn't exactly say no, could I? So we had to say bye to all the members really fast and also pack, and also eat at all the cheap restaurants I like out there. It was intense. It's pretty sad to leave Elder Alban. Especially because he has to move to Seoul now. I don't even know where he'll be. President didn't know yet. It's basically "Finding Nemo" out here. My son is gone, and I got swept by the EAC into the middle of the mountains of Korea. 

But I do love it out here. (See week 66 for more info on that.) The members are all fantastic. My second day here the branch president called and asked us to help with prepping his car for the annual registration thingy and I explained the plot of Echo (it's a new-ish book?) to him. The magic harmonica sounded cool. He's really nice, as are all of our members. There's only like 10 of them. It makes getting to know them easier. 

Usually missionaries have a transfer or two (or four) out here before they get called into the branch presidency, but since I had no time I had to get all my training yesterday. It's not too intense, but it's all very new. Elder Edwards came all the way out from Gangneung to show me the ropes. 

Don't worry about me missing the Olympics though. We got to see the Olympic torch come through last night. I even held it.

It's colder in Taebaek than it is in Gangneung. Hence the polar bear.

And yeah, it was all a good time. I don't really know how to explain this week. It feels like five. We totally missed the part where we taught a Filipino less-active member over Facebook at a member's house using a mix of Korean, a bit of sign language (the sister tends to sign as she talks. I love her), English and Tagalog. I had to translate the last two into Korean for Sister Lee. It was lucky that I knew like two Spanish loan words in Tagalog and we had planned a really simple lesson. But anyway, that's about it. We have a few more pics so stay tuned. 
It's a party with giant inflatable Soohorangs

"Let Everyone Shine" is the theme song for the PyeongChang torch relay


Best Wishes,
Elder Newton
 
* "You see there's this tiny little branch in Taebaek and there's not a lot of priesthood, so missionaries end up being the first counselor/clerk. It's wild"

No comments:

Post a Comment