Sunday, October 9, 2016

Week 11: Missionary or professional party planner?

Elder Newton demonstrating his new skill.
Discover Balloon Animals
Twist and Pop
Quick trick, but arduous mastery
Stop the Problem 
How?
Force the topic
The proof is facepaint
Balloon Animals

So the last time I emailed all of you, I did not know how to make balloon animals. This is a personal fault that I have now remedied.

That's right. I learned how to make balloon animals, and it was for a missionary purpose. See, here in 녹번 our bishop has us work on parties a lot. The first day I got here, I was thrown into this Halloween party, but this last week, that was overshadowed by the huge annual yearly festival. 

Apparently we have one of those.

So naturally, we learned about this thing on Sunday, and needed to have several fun booths planned by Saturday. We also had to design little signs, which is how I learned to use Microsoft stuff in Korean. But that is far less important than my balloon animals. 

See, Bishop wanted balloon animals, and as missionaries, we did our best to provide. We spent most of Sunday calling missionaries from all over the zone, but our efforts were in vain. There were no balloon animal experts. Thus, last P-Day, Elder Brown and I became the experts the zone needed. 

(Also we would miss conference for this festival, so we had to confirm that was OK with President Sonksen. When we did this, he jumped right on board, which meant if we failed, he would have our heads.)

After receiving special balloon animal research internet access, we studied all through Monday afternoon. We learned the basics and began the journey of learning how to make a dog, bunny and sword. Flowers are too tough. 

For the rest of the week, daily planning was spent setting goals and practicing our newly acquired skill. It was fun. Also really hard, but eventually we got it. 

So yeah, then I spent 7 hours making balloon animals for the Korean people on Saturday. It was great, and the Sonksens even dropped by. They seemed to enjoy it. I think Sister Sonksen took pics. Which is good, because I have been atrocious at this thus far.

Anywho, that was the biggest thing of the week. Korean is continuing to come slowly but surely. Loving it a lot, and also tired a lot. But it's k. 

Well, see y'all next week,

Elder Newton

No comments:

Post a Comment